Sunday 8 November 2009

Peter Lovesey - The Circle


Murder mystery involving the Chichester Writing Circle - a series of murders are linked to a group of writers, but none of them have cast-iron alibis, so who is the arsonist?

My rating: 6/10.

Lovesey leaves you with so few options as to who the murderer could be, in the words of Sherlock Holmes (and Spock): "Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth" however incredible.  Good how he unravels it though, albeit rather plodding at times.

First read Lovesey as Peter Lear, Goldengirl, which I quite liked, a sorta modern Frankenstein.  In the same vein, In Suspense (or Spidergirl as it was in the US) - which I didn't like (stretched the imagination just a little too far).  Loved Keystone though, I guess I forgot about Lovesey, as those three were probably the only titles in Sunbury library that I came across.  Will look for more by him in Abergele.

Next: Ellis Peters's The Virgin In The Ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment