Friday 27 November 2009

Graham Phillips - Act of God



Non Fiction - Whilst looking for the tomb of Tutankhamen, a group of archaeologists uncover a tomb with a mummy interred in a bizarre fashion and with no obvious identity.  Who was he, and what was his link to Tut and the presumed heretic Akhenaten?

My rating: 8/10

Hardly surprising really, that a favourite work of non fiction is really a detective story.  I think this book has been in my "library" the third longest (the other two, incidentally, are The Compleet Works of molesworth and Watership Down, discounting a very old King James Bible) - books have come and gone prior to this but this has never hit the bin or Amazon Marketplace.  It's not that I agree with everything that Phillips has to say about the whole Akenaten/Nefertiti/Smenkhare/Tut era, in fact there's bits in there which don't quite gel.  Loads has been written about the era, and in more detail - and I must get hold of Aldred's Akhenhaten at some point which I have only read once -  it's the fact he delivers his theories believably and succinctly, and leaves you room for thought.  If you are interested in the era, give it a go, with an open mind, and you will find it enjoyable.

Next: Library tomorrow, watch this space, cos I really don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment