Friday 13 November 2009

Ellis Peters - The Virgin In The Ice


The niece and nephew of a renowned knight of Empress Maud are lost after an attack on Worcester during the civil war in medieval Britain.  Cadfael discovers their tracks after being sent to care for a monk who has been attacked and left for dead, but he also discovers a horrible murder.

My rating: 7/10.

I only recently discovered this gem of a series, I am astonished that it started over 30 years ago.   Yes, it's the old style of detective stories, a jigsaw puzzle gradually put together, but I love them and want to track down all of them, they're great, short reads.  This one isn't quite as good as the other two I've read (chronicles 1 and 2 - this one is chronicle 6), but the ending sure gives you a warm feeling inside as Cadfael also discovers a secret about the eventual saviour of the two children.

Next: Robert B Parker....and darn it I've forgotten what it's called.  Told you my memory was bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment