Friday 1 January 2010

Mike Ripley - Just Another Angel



Fitzroy Maclean Angel is a streetwise, trumpet-playing, cab-driving guy with a penchant for good beer and women, but has mostly stayed out of trouble.  Then he meets Jo Scamp, and it isn't until after his brief, early morning encounter with her that he discovers that not only is she married, but married to a serious villain who breaks bones for a livingAnd she needs him to run an errand, which means infiltrating that most dangerous of groups: an all woman CND camp.

My rating: 8/10

Actually, Angel Hunt is more Christmassy than Just Another Angel, and I did pick it up first.  But Just Another had a stronger draw than the other, mostly because I like it more.  Of course, bias doesn't come into at all, oh no.  But in attempting to be subjective, I have read a few debut novels and I have to admit that this one is very good, but unfortunately I had read 10 others in the series before this one and this ended up low on the personal list and why do I feel guilty about it?

But I do, because every time I read it I giggle, annoying the heck out of my better half, and I think it about time I revised the personal list.  Well, I'm the only one hung up about it, the author thinks I'm "discerning", I think I may be just plain crazy.

Have to say, if you're going to start anywhere with this series, start here.  Failing that, Angel's Share.  But you may just wave your free time bye-bye.

Next: Keith Floyd's posthumously published (auto)biography, Stirred but not Shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment