Wednesday 20 January 2010

Ellis Peters - An Excellent Mystery



King Stephen has been captured and Empress Maud is under siege in Winchester.  St Winifred's is far enough away from the troubles, until two Brothers arrive, Humilis, in a previous life something of a local hero, and mortally wounded, and his companion, the mute and mysterious Fidelis.  A squire previously in the employ of Humilis arrives to ask if he can pursue the woman that Humilis had been affianced to before he took Holy Orders.  The search for the lady escalates into a murder hunt, but Cadfael has other suspicions.

My rating 8/10

Absolutely the very best so far that I've read of the Cadfael chronicles, some of the prose is poignant and incredibly touching.  I read a review somewhere, words to the effect that it was interesting to read about a time when marriage was viewed somewhat differently.  What I think is this makes a heartfelt statement about that wonderful institution, and the true meaning of marriage.  Peters thought out this plot so well, and I admit I was slow to twig the puzzle, as clues are given early on, and she slowly introduces more clues until I think every reader would have got it before it is fully revealed, lifted, if this isn't too cheesy, like the bride's veil at a wedding.  Really love this book, and may get a copy for myself some time.

Next: No idea!  Run out of books, so I'm thinking nothing serious until Saturday 

No comments:

Post a Comment