Monday 18 January 2010

Caroline Carver - Beneath the Snow



Lisa McCall, a young research scientist, has disappeared out in the Alaskan wilderness. Lisa's sister, Abby  flies out from England to join the rescue team. Abby and Lisa have been estranged for years, driven apart by a terrible row. As soon as she arrives at the freezing outpost, Abby knows there's something wrong. Lisa's cabin has been ransacked and her research material is nowhere to be found. It emerges that Lisa was on the verge of patenting an incredible discovery - facing fierce opposition from the oil-dominated energy market. Abby knows her sister is out there somewhere, battling deep cold and raw terror, while her enemies circle. After so many years of brooding silences and explosive rows, Abby is forced to face up to the past, while her younger sister fights for a future. Abby embarks on the dangerous task of locating Lisa before someone else gets to her first. (taken from Fantastic Fiction description)


My rating 8/10

It doesn't happen very often, but where I've said (though not out loud) with authors such as Bernard Knight, Reginald Hill...and okay, okay Mike Ripley, "where have your books been all my life" finally there is another one to the list and female (whisper: prior to this I had not found a female crime fiction author that enthralled me to the point of thinking that was a thumping good read.  Some close, and big names, but no cigar, sorry) Who woulda thought it?  I wasn't expecting much of this story, and I don't mean to be degrading, is just that I didn't expect it to be as good as the later Back With Vengeance that I reviewed for SHOTS.  Actually, maybe it isn't.  But darn it, it is very good.  So Caroline Carver - where have your books been all my life?

Next: Ellis Peters - An Excellent Mystery (probably the last Peters for a while!)

No comments:

Post a Comment