Monday 15 March 2010

Simon Brett - Mrs, Presumed Dead



You know where you are with Brett, frankly, simple tales that are not too hard on the brain but can keep you entertained for an afternoon.  Have to say though that the "little old lady wanders from place to place where, usefully, a murder has occurred and then sets about beating the police at their own game before moving on" type stylee is incredibly old hat.  It's also painfully stereotypical at times, and no, I'm not one of the PC brigade (otherwise I wouldn't be reading Ripley's books) - for instance, the book says that in the typical middle-class cul-de-sac, of 6 women only one of them works for a living?  Not in this day and age Brett, sorry.  The butler didn't do it.  A more modern equivalent did.  Sigh.  Still, this is what I get when I'm too random, or in too much of a hurry at the library.

My rating: 6/10

Next - Paul Doherty - The Darkening Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment