Wednesday 23 December 2009

Reginald Hill - The Death of Dalziel



Andy Dalziel is critically injured after approaching a house when a bomb planted by terrorists explodes.  On face value, it appears to be linked to a royal visit to the area, as the house is by a main railway line.  However, Pascoe, albeit injured by the blast himself, is recruited into the Secret Service and discovers that rather than Muslim suspects, a group calling themselves the Knights Templar have admitted responsibility to similar incidents.  Pascoe is painfully aware that Dalziel is likely to die from his injuries, but are his motives personal or professional and can he keep the peace with his family?

My rating: 9/10

If Alanna Knight got me interested in medieval murder mysteries, and Mike Ripley got me interested in crime fiction in general, Reginald Hill is guilty of ensuring that the genre has remained my favourite.  At times, I barely know what Hill is talking about, as unfortunately I didn't get a university education, but he never makes reading his novels a frustrating experience, more an education in itself.  Where other authors have blown me away with one novel, disappointed me with the next, Hill has never failed to disappoint (but of course, I have only read three, maybe four, of the Dalziel and Pascoe series and one short story compilation - time yet, Reg.)  The Dalziel and Pascoe series really are thumping good reads, although I knew the outcome of what ultimately happens with Dalziel (as I read the book that came after some time ago)  I love the fact that although Dalziel is lying comatose in a hospital bed, his influence on the other characters decisions is striking and real, and his NDE/dream sequences are just simply delicious.

Next: CJ Carver - Back With Vengeance for SHOTS

No comments:

Post a Comment